Saturday, October 27, 2012

Week in Review

So this week has been as fast as any of the other weeks in our house.

I'm officially dealing with a picky eater. It doesn't really bother me because I am also a very picky eater...it just makes meal times much, much longer (and messier, as he likes to spit and fling food at me). Right now he likes cheese, fruit, and oatmeal. That's it. I force feed him one food each day that he doesn't like because I'm a mean mom like that. It's how I roll.

Don't let this happy face fool you, he didn't manage to get any 'sketti in his sweet little mouth.





One night, the residency wives organized a recipe swap centered around soups. I made chicken and gnocchi soup, which tasted JUST like Olive Garden's soup. It was delicioso. Here's the recipe in case you want to give it a try. It makes enough for about 6-8 hearty bowls of soup.

Ingredients:

3 -4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups half-and-half
1 stalk celery, diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 carrot, shredded
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper
16 ounces potato gnocchi
1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)

Directions:

1
Saute the onion, celery, garlic, carrot in oil over medium heat until onion is translucent.
2
Add chicken, chicken stock, half and half, salt and pepper, thyme. Heat to boiling, then add gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 minutes, then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes.
3
Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
4
(Heat to boiling and add cornstarch dissolved in 1-2 Tbsp water at this point if you want a thicker soup.).
5
Ladle into bowls and serve!




We saw the McDowell's for the first time since their wedding! Amanda made a mexican meal shared with us and the Mays.





We had yet ANOTHER bout of illness strike...thankfully only Michael got sick, so atleast someone was well enough to take care of him. The poor guy slept for a solid 24 hours.



We went to Hobby Lobby...Darn pinterest has me making lists of crafts that I know I just "need" to complete. So far, we did a Halloween project with Noah's footprints which was inspired by this:



Turns out it IS possible to get a 9 month old to cooperate when using paint and appendages.

I also sewed a blanket and pillowcase for my mom's house. She wanted Noah to have a retro cowboy themed room when he goes for visits. I love this fabric!!! I used this and red minky fabric.






Noah has been looking extra cute for Bible study the past few weeks:







There's also lots of work being done around the house. 2 of my favorite men are working on their laptops. Like father, like son.




Today we went to a Mickey Mouse birthday party for a 1 and 2 year old. Fun was had by all except for my son. He loves being picked up by adults. He does NOT love other children. The noise frightens him into a tizzy. One verse of Rylee singing her ABCs and he was ready to go home. ::Sigh::









Oh and finallllllly Amy makes her blog debut. I had a coupon for free queso at the new Mexican place in town!







Anyways, sorry so random. Trying to play catch up as usual and not in the biggest mood to write tonight. In fact, blogging this actually makes me feel a little bit worse tonight. I post these pics that were just taken in the last week or so....and each week really seems like a blur. I get so sad that time is moving so fast. I try my best to relish in each moment, but sometimes lose track of that when we have appointments and meal times, projects and laundry... the list goes on and on. I just want it all to slow down. I pray tonight for it to just. slow. down.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you really understand what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally discuss with my site =). We could have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us!